Wednesday 14 August 2013

BirchBox - August box

So - with the tempting InStyle collaboration and the free delivery I fell hook, line and sinker for the BirchBox August edition. 
Now, as you've previously read I've had a three month subscription to GlossyBox, so I already had a bar set by them, and it was set very high. 


Okay so the box is plain, recyclable and a no nonsense approach; 
Inside :- So in contrast to the GlossyBox's the BirchBox has seven items (GlossyBox has five normally) I'm not sure if it has this many due to it being a special edition though. 

From left to right we have the LAQA & Co. Lip pencil in Wolfman; full size is £14. I have already tried this and I'm sorry to say I was disappointed, mainly the colour doesn't suit me at all, I have quite pigmented lips naturally and this just doesn't work on me. I would have preferred the red option maybe but that's the luck of the draw. I think this'll suit my Mum's complexion much better than mine.

Then we have the Molton Brown Ylang-ylang body wash; full size is £18. Again, as a Bath addict I have tried this, I only popped a small amount in as the bottle is only 30ml and I can't say that it was overly relaxing or particularly potent but i'm putting that down to the amount I used; not sure I'd pay £18 for bubble bath/body wash. 

Moving on to Montibel.lo Gold Oil Essence; full size £22.50. This claims to nourish, strengthen and protect whilst adding shine. Frustrating that I bought a similar product in my mini haul at Home Bargains the other day! But my hair will need it, i'll keep you updated on this. 

Then we have the Bluemandarines SkinLife Energetic Cellular Cream; full size is £35. Not sure about this one, it's a 10ml 'free sample' which claims to be redensifying and tensing. I can't say these are things I normally look for in a cream but I shall let you know how I get on. 

Lastly in the products is the Gerda Soillmann Hydro Pearls; full size is £30. This 'free sample (as stated on the product) is a moisture lotion that doubles up as a make up primer to provide a 'dewy finish'. I shall let you know what I think when i've tried it - it's quite pricey for a primer.

Finally, the box also included Propercorn - it did make me laugh that the card provided said how to use the product!
Then as a beauty extra came a gel mask that you pop in the fridge and use to decrease puffy eyes, this is quoted as £10 on the BirchBox site - it's quite small and dainty and will of course come in handy but comes as a bit of shock when first popped on.

So overall, I was a little deflated at this box, I'm not sure many if any of the products really suit me; the fact two products have free sample written across them did make me think I don't really want to be paying to be sent free samples that I could request myself at no cost. That's just my view of this special edition, I do think GlossyBox have spoilt me and I'm used to getting at least one full sized product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment